Are you a rules follower?
You may not admit it, but you do break the rules? How do I know that?
Ummm, I bet you’ve gone over the speed limit. Jaywalked. Brought your own food to the movie theater. Tasted a sip of wine or beer before your 21st birthday. Stayed out past curfew.
What about when it comes to business? If we followed all of the rules of how to run a business there would be no differentiation between them all.
So there are times to break the rules. Especially when folks like Marcus Buckingham and Curt Coffman do tons of research and find out what rules some companies break by not following the norm, and how they grow faster than others. Those might be some rules you want to break too.
‘First Break all the Rules” by Marcus Buckingham and Curt Coffman provides 12 fundamental questions that employees ask of themselves, that great managers / leaders need to answer if they hope to keep their employees motivated and engaged.
Are you consistently answering the12 questions employees ask, and need positive answers to for your team to be top producers?
- Do I know what is expected of me at work?
- Do I have the materials and equipment I need to do my work right?
- Do I have the opportunity to do what I do best everyday?
- In the last 7 days, have I received recognition or praise for doing good work?
- Does my supervisor or someone at work seem to care about me as a person?
- Is there someone at work who encourages my development?
- At work, do my opinions seem to count?
- Does the mission / purpose of my company make me feel my job is important?
- Are my co-workers committed to doing quality work?
- Do I have a best friend at work?
- In the last 6 months, has someone talked to me about my progress?
- This last year, have I had the opportunity at work to learn and grow?
This is a powerful check-list to grow your leadership capability and a complete team of top performers.
Now go break some rules!
Are you stuck delivering boring sales meetings? You know, the ones where your sales people’s faces tell you they’d like to be anywhere else and their hands are busy on their smart phones. And you’d rather have meetings that motivate so your sellers will sell more? Score the 6 Killer Hacks to Run The Perfect Sales Meeting and you’ll turn boring into boom!