Too often managers complain about a seller’s poor sales performance to other mangers or anyone who will listen outside of work colleagues, yet reluctantly have the right conversation with the poor performer.
If there’s anyone on your team that is under-performing, stop complaining and plan a coaching session with the poor performer as soon as possible.
Once the meeting is scheduled, now it’s time to have a well thought out and prepared conversation. Just as you’d do the necessary pre-planning for a big sales call (or any sales call), do the same now.
What’s the Before State (where you are now) and the After State (where you want to be)?
Now craft the questions to bridge from Before and After State while also finding out what barriers are keeping them from performing.
Additionally think through these questions as you plan for the conversation:
- What is the objective of the conversation? Be specific.
- What do you know about the issue?
- What do you need to know?
- What is something you can praise about the seller?
- What questions are you going to ask for the seller to take ownership?
- What questions are you going to ask to discover the potential of their higher performance?
- Ask questions to allow the seller to talk 80% and you 20%.
- Begin with praise and do not follow it with BUT (but.. negates the praise).
- Allow the seller to describe their current situation, the desired, obstacles, suggestions for improvement and time frame commitments for the next step.
- You are not required to be the problem solver. If you talk and offer the solution – you own it – not them.
Now you’re ready for an effective coaching conversation.
Many problems are avoided when on-going coaching is the norm and not the exception. Click To Tweet Begin your regularly scheduled and on-going coaching sessions today – with all of your sellers and watch sales soar.
Top performing and top producing sales managers whose sellers meet sales quotas consistently conduct Field Ride Alongs, One-on-One Coaching and Sales Meetings to build skill and will. Clone yourself for some one-on one-coaching or own the latest done-for-you sales training with these special offers only available here.