What do you think of someone with a slouching posture? Lack of confidence? No energy? Sloppy? Maybe even a bad back?
A slouching posture can happen in our sales, too! If we are not upright and confident we send a message that keeps us from success.
With the slower economy, many business people are feeling less than optimistic about many things. The last thing they need is a slouching business professional calling on them.
As we make contact with prospective clients, everything about our “posture” matters.
To show you’re no slouch:
1. Prepare to be positive and have positive information to share. This will involve some research about the person, the company, the market they are in, etc. Find SOMEthing that will make them smile.
2. Smile and use an upbeat, genuine tone of voice. You don’t have to fake it. Avoid being all doom and gloom – it won’t get you anywhere.
3. Have questions that move the discussion past today and the economy and toward the future.
4. Give a gift! A card for a cup of coffee, a movie pass, a bag of M&Ms, an inspirational note (Compendium offers really inexpensive Thought a Day cards.) How about a lottery ticket??! For very little out-of-pocket you can make a difference.
Any one of these items will posture you as memorable and, more importantly, someone they WANT to do business with.
If by chance you’ve taken a recent look in the mirror and noticed yourself slouching bit, then it’s time for a productivity makeover.
“Change your thoughts and you change your world,” is a quote by Norman Vincent Peale. Our thoughts determine a large part of our success, so the first place to start the makeover is in our mind!
As you think about the upcoming work week, ask yourself a few questions:
- What do you want reflected in the mirror?
- What kind of success do you want to realize?
- What kind of customer contacts do you want to experience?
- How do you want those in contact with you to describe the value they received?
- What obstacles do you want to have worked through?
- Who do you want to meet?
- What activities do you want to have completed?
- How do you want to look and feel?
If you want to be happy with what you see in the mirror at the end of the week, keep your thoughts focused on the vision and goal each day. Your new performance “look” will be worth it. Stand tall and know that a positive approach is a winning approach!
What do you do be avoid being a slouch? Let us know in the Comments section.
Top performing and top producing sales managers whose sellers meet sales quotas consistently conduct Field Ride Alongs, One-on-One Coaching and Sales Meetings to build skill and will. Clone yourself for some one-on one-coaching or own the latest done-for-you sales training with these special offers only available here.