Hang around my friend and college Nancy Bleeke for any length of time and you’ll hear her say “I’m thinking like a winner!” and sure enough she’ll win something.
She is always the high winner at her Bunko game, won an IPad at a conference, or even at a ring toss and the football toss at the Fun Zone at the Orange Bowl when the rest of us were losers – she won!
With that positive attitude, it’s no surprise that good things come her way.
After watching and hearing of her success with Think Like a Winner… I began thinking I will win. The other morning before a charity luncheon I began saying, “I’m so excited about winning the raffle today at the charity luncheon.” And sure enough, I won a beautiful serving tray!
As Dick Mandt, my boss at Harte-Hanks Communications, always said, “You create your own luck.”
Imagine your sales reps walking around thinking like a winner!
Try this Think Like A Winner Activity with your team and see them strutting around like winners!
1. On an index card, instruct each person write: Winning Traits and Qualities of (insert your name).
2. Request each person to pass the card with their name to the rep to their right.
3. The person receiving the card writes 1 – 2 positive traits or qualities about the person whose name is on the card.
4. Continue passing the cards to the right, until everyone gets their card back.
5. This step as two options:
Option One: Ask each person (one at a time) to read aloud what is written on their card.
Option Two: Ask each person to pass their card to the left. Ask each person (one at a time) to read aloud what is written on the card.
6. Conclude with a debrief question: What else do you do to think like a winner?
A bonus idea… as their sales manager – take an index card for each of your sales reps. Write a rep’s name on each card. Now write the qualities and characteristics you see and admire in each of them. These are your cards to keep handy. Each time you communicate with a rep compliment and or comment on one of their winning qualities. Great coaches do this all the time.
[Tweet “If you want to get the results that winners get, you must first think like a winner thinks! by Walter Doyle Staples”]
Here is a list of the ten core beliefs from Walter Doyle Staples book, “Think Like a Winner”.
- One: Winners are not born, they are made.
- Two: The dominant force in your existence is the thinking you engage in.
- Three: You are empowered to create your own reality.
- Four: There is some benefit to be had from every adversity.
- Five: Each one of your beliefs is a choice.
- Six: You are never defeated until you accept defeat as a reality, and decide to stop trying.
- Seven: You already possess the ability to excel in at least one key area of your life.
- Eight: The only real limitations on what you can accomplish in your life are those you impose on yourself.
- Nine: There can be no great success without great commitment.
- Ten: You need the support and cooperation of other people to achieve any worthwhile goal.
What else do you do to Think Like A Winner?
Alice Kemper, sales training expert and founder of Sales Training Werks, mobilizes sales reps to crush their monthly quota. For great coaching, motivating and skill-boosting ideas – check out the done-for-you sales training meetings and energizers here.